Sunday 30 August 2009

Duke-Bucked!

My goodness, I'm not quite feeling myself this morning (wow is it afternoon already), previous days at Belsonic had just been gearing up for the monster attraction of Dukebox. Events kicked off all over Belfast at 1pm, and so rang the death knell. I had already decided to kick off the high heels and don a nice pair of comfy shoes so I could rush around the cathedral quarter streets and catch as much as possible. So I flitted from a packed McHugh's to a rather more sedated Spaniard, and then onward to an altogether empty Black Box. Not for long mind. Thanks sweetheart, but I only stay at places where the action is.

Into the main event in Custom House Square and the Panama Kings were on first, despite his best efforts, the most besotted man in town couldn't quite whip the ten-strong "crowd" into a frenzy. Drenched, hungry, and with the mexican wave failing to get as far as me (don't you hate it when one guy ruins it), I went searching for any other delights that were more suited to Belfast weather. There was official concern at the lack of tickets sold for the final day. Certainly as events got underway, the crowd was disarmingly small.

I could ramble on about Act X, Y and Z, but thats not what you want is it? Besides, its all available here

Duke Special's set was spectacularly interrupted by The Prettiest Girl in Belfast getting royally turfed out of the crowd for being more of a drunken mess than normal. But Duke, taking pity on his friend, made security bring him up on stage so he could compose himself again backstage. Unfortunately that composure never happened and after his fleeting moments on the mainstage at Belsonic The Prettiest Girl in Belfast got taken home...again. When will you ever learn?

Elsewhere an inexplicably large crowd found themselves at Mono, of all places. Not my usual haunt, granted, but the attendees promised great things. Frankly, I think everyone knew there was at least one party boy itching for a fight. Upon discovering his best friend's use of his little sister as a very convienent booty call, it was with trepidation and disgusting excitement that the crowd waited for the fireworks. And they were not disappointed- once again, this ended in a rather abrupt ejection. Deary me, our wee city is full of trouble makers. However, even I in my cynicism, did not expect the police involvement, as the fight continued on the street. Little sister, looks like you've lost your Mister Midnight.

The Roost has managed to get over the DJ debacle of late, but personally I think their Saturday nights have never been the same since the loss of one of the infamous Carberry brothers. Overpacked as usual, and a tasteful couple moved into the single male cubicle for fun times and fiddling. Mmmm, nice. Thats certainly where I like to share the love. Or STDs...

AU were running one of their legendary parties, but enjoyed much smaller numbers than usual. Faux did an excellent job DJing, but then they always do don't they? To be honest, rather thin on gossip this time around too. The usual, secret kisses and drunken frolics, but none of the bucking in the bathroom seen at Roost. Have these parties lost their 18 certificate?

- The Belle In Belfast

No comments:

Post a Comment